Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 4..South Dakota

Today we explored the great state of South Dakota.  I have to say it was breathtaking and makes you consider packing it all up and moving out west!! 

We started the day at Cabela's (for those that are not familiar..think Bass Pro Shop....just MUCH better.)  We went in and explored the store and bought a few things...I actually enjoyed going there and looking around.

We started our trek through South Dakota and stopped midway to the Badlands to eat lunch.  We ate at a place called Ditty's and when we left, Jay said that he would like to have one good meal on this vacation!! :)  I commented that I missed the southernness of NC.  There is no really sweet people with "Hey Y'all" and "How can I help you"....its more like here is a menu and your wasting my time so hurry!

After our lunch we set off for the Badlands and stopped at a scenic overlook only to look over and see a truck from Boulevard Chevrolet (Lillington, NC.)  I had to ask if they were from NC and sure enough it was true!  That honestly was the first NC license plate we have seen since we left West Virginia so it was nice to see them and very ironic that they were from right down the road!!!

We really enjoyed the Badlands, it was gorgeous!  You know it was amazing when the kids say "That was beautiful."  It is not very typical for kids to really appreciate nature's beauty.  I am attaching some pictures but they can never do it justice.  The way the clouds sat on the sky was just serene.











Our next stop was Mount Rushmore....great place to visit and see at least once.  The best part was when we stayed for the 9:00 show.  They did a Memorial Day tribute and then went on with the regular speech about the presidents displayed.  I have to give a word of praise that throughout this I have been amazed at what my kids know compared to other kids we have encountered.  While the Park Ranger was giving the speech, Haley chimed in with him regarding what he was saying...word for word.  Makes me very thankful for my HCS family and how they help us train our kids!!!





I wish the pictures could do justice to what we are seeing.  So many I want to post but not enough room on here or time!  Pray for us today, we have had a slight change in direction regarding Yellowstone.  They have had flooding and Avalanches in parts of Wyoming so we are going a different way in.  For all of you complaining about the 98 degree weather at home....we are going to 30 degree weather!!!!  How is that for a big difference!  We are getting ready to be in snow!

1 comment:

  1. Snow... really!! WOW! Maybe you guys can ski a little bit :)

    The pictures are beautiful! I hope my camera is doing okay for you. I can't wait to see the pictures in person and give you hug! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete